Business Phone

+1 647 522 0908

Mail Us

Contact time

Mon-Sat: 9.00am - 4.00pm

Study Permit

Canada welcomes more than 300,000 students from all over the globe to pursue academic studies every year. Canada has one of the best education systems around the world. A study permit allows the holder to study in Canada for the full length of the program. It is generally given to students whose studies in Canada will last for more than six months. A study permit is not a visa. The candidate also needs a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization to enter Canada. It will be issued along with a study permit on its approval.

Eligibility requirements

  • Candidate must have been enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • Candidate must prove that he/she has enough money to pay for:
    • Tuition fees
    • Living expenses for themselves and any family member accompanying them to Canada.
    • Return transportation for themselves and any family member accompanying them to Canada.
  • Candidate must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. Candidate might have to provide a police certificate as well.
  • Candidate must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination.
  • Candidate must satisfy an immigration officer that he/she will leave Canada at the end of their authorized stay.

Documents required

  • Proof of acceptance – An original or electronic copy of letter of acceptance from your institution has to be included with study permit application.
  • Proof of identity – When applying for a study permit, you should have a valid passport or travel document and two recent passport-size photos.
  • Proof of financial support – You must prove that you can support yourself and the family members who come with you, while you are in Canada.
    • Proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, if you've transferred money to Canada
    • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) from a participating Canadian financial institution
    • Proof of a student or education loan from a bank
    • Your bank statements for the past 4 months
    • A bank draft that can be converted to Canadian dollars
    • Proof you paid tuition and housing fees
    • A letter from the person or school giving you money or
    • Proof of funding paid from within Canada, if you have a scholarship or are in a Canadian-funded educational program
  • Letter of explanation – Letter to visa officer explaining why you want to study in Canada and you understand your responsibilities as a student.
  • Ties to Your Home Country – you have to convince the officer that you do have a great tie and sufficient tie in your country of origin. You have to prove that you are likely to go back once you complete your study

Candidates have to give biometrics in most cases. After paying the biometric fees and submitting an application, a letter will be sent to the candidate asking for their biometrics.

If the application is incomplete, it won’t be processed or request for missing documents. Candidates may even be asked to go to an interview with Canada’s officials in their country or send more information. Candidates may also need to get a medical exam and police certificate.

If the application is approved, you will get your study permit at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada or mailed to you, if you are already in Canada.

When you arrive in Canada, the border services officer will ask for a passport or travel documents, few questions, and make sure you meet the requirements to enter Canada. You may have to prove that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay.

Frequently Asked Questions

Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If immigration office approves your study permit, they’ll issue one to you with your study permit.

Following Documents are required for a Canada study permit application:

  • Proof of acceptance
  • Proof of Identity
  • Proof of Funds
  • Letter of Explanation
  • Other documents

An applicant is not required to obtain a study permit for short courses. However, the prospective student may need to apply for a study permit if a course is longer than six months.

Yes, you can. Individuals holding valid current temporary resident status can apply for an extension of their stay, provided they apply at least 30 days before the expiry date of their current status.

Yes. If you leave Canada during your studies, you may need to provide evidence that you are enrolled in your school when you return to Canada. If you have a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization, it must still be valid when you return to Canada.

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. The 90 days let you prepare to leave Canada or apply to extend your stay.

Many international students in Canada finish their studies with the hopes of obtaining work and remaining in Canada permanently. There are several permanent resident categories that you may fit into, including the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Provincial Nominee Program. Students can apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). After having gained academic and work experience in Canada, they may have more options to apply for Canadian permanent residency

Yes, but only under limited circumstances such as when:

  • Your employment is on-campus;
  • The international student is the recipient of a scholarship;
  • The work has been certified as being an integral part of the program of study;
  • The work consists of academic research or a post-doctoral fellowship;
  • The work takes place after graduation in a field related to the program of study.
  • Spouses of international students are eligible to work temporarily in Canada.

There are other ways to work while on a study permit depending on where you study in Canada.

Studying in Canada is an amazing experience for any student. Canada has one of the highest standards of education in the world. If you want to ensure your best chances at getting an approval on your student visa application, then we recommend you consult with us before submitting, we can help you!

The first step towards your studying in Canada is getting an assessment of your case. Fill out our immigration assessment form and we will get back to you within 24 hours to discuss your eligibility and options. Call us today for an assessment to see if you are eligible to move to Canada, or fill out our online assessment form.