Business Phone

+1 647 522 0908

Mail Us

Contact time

Mon-Sat: 9.00am - 4.00pm

Visitor Visa

More than 20 million people visit Canada every year to enjoy the many opportunities that our country has to offer, including visiting family and friends. If you wish to travel to Canada for a temporary purpose, such as a vacation, or to visit family or friends, you may need a Temporary Resident Visa, unless you are a citizen from a “visa exempt” country like the USA.

Do I need a visa to visit Canada?

Most travellers need a visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to, or transit through, a Canadian airport.

What you need depends on:

  • The type of travel document you will travel with;
  • The country that issued your travel document;
  • Your nationality; and
  • How you will travel to Canada.

If you do not have the proper documents, such as an eTA or visa, you may be delayed or prevented from boarding your flight to Canada.

How long can I stay in Canada on visitor visa?

Most visitors can stay for up to 6 months in Canada.

At the port of entry, the border services officer may allow you to stay for less or more than 6 months. If so, they’ll put the date you need to leave by in your passport. They might also give you a document, called a visitor record, which will show the date you need to leave by.

If you don’t get a stamp in your passport, you can stay for 6 months from the day you entered Canada or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

What are the requirements for visitor visa?

You must meet some basic requirements to get a visitor visa. You must:

  • Have a valid travel document, like a passport
  • Be in good health
  • Have no criminal or immigration-related convictions
  • Convince an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country
  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
  • Have enough money for your stay
  • Convince an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are in Canada on a visitor visa and wish to apply for an extension of your stay in Canada, you need to get visitor record. It doesn’t matter if you entered Canada using a visitor visa, electronic travel authorization (eTA) or another document. If you want to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor, you need a visitor record.

If you want to extend your stay as a visitor, you should apply at least 30 days before your current status expires.

  • You need to be currently in Canada
  • You need to hold a current passport that will stay valid for the duration of your stay
  • You will need to pay the associated fee
  • You will need to ensure that any other permits that you hold (Study or work) will stay valid and not interfere with your visitor permit.

No one can guarantee how long it will take for the Canadian government to process your TRV request, but in order to prevent disappointment, we recommend that you submit at least 2 months in advance of your scheduled departure from Canada. It can be done faster with guidance of professional immigration help. One or more of the following factors could delay the processing of your application:

  • Incomplete applications
  • Medical exam required
  • Background or security checks required
  • Criminal record
  • Interview required
  • Verification of documents needed

Although it might seem uncomplicated to apply for a TRV, some applicants apply without obtaining any assistance from an immigration specialist, assuming that they can handle it themselves. There is potentially a greater probability of rejection for TRV applications in situations where the application is not adequately planned. The norms are very high. We find that the number one reason why applications are rejected is because forms are not filled out correctly. With the assistance of trained immigration consultant, you will improve your chances of getting approval for your TRV applications.